Saturday, August 23, 2014

Sweet potato chip nachos

I came across this recipe on pinterest, for 'Loaded sweet potato nachos.' I had never thought of nachos using sweet potato chips before, so I figured I'd give it a try!

Sweet Potato Nachos.

There's those tiny chips, waaaay underneath the toppings



Ingredients:
Sweet potatoes
meat, beans, or both
cilantro or parsley, fresh
avocado
jalapeƱo
fresh lemon or lime juice


Directions:
First, I preheated an oven to 325 F.

Then, I thinly sliced some sweet potatoes (the ONE time I want to use my mandolin, and I can't find it), then put them on an oiled cookie sheet, and baked them for about 20-25 minutes. I repeated this for all the sweet potatoes and never renewed the oil. No sticking problems the entire time.

They're supposed to be just turning golden brown in the middle and dry to touch when they are done, but honestly? I have a REALLY hard time getting them just right. They are often not done, or too done, all within a minute or two span of time. My sweet potatoes are also quite small, as they are from a local farmer, which could affect the time needed to bake. So, I think this may take some tweaking.

I have heard some folks brush oil over the chips as well, and perhaps that helps keep them from burning. Maybe I'll try it when I get more oil.

Toppings:
After the chips were done and cooled, I just put them on a plate and put on browned bison meat, avocado, parsley, chopped jalapeƱos, and a drizzle of lemon juice over it all (lime would work, too).  It was quite tasty - the flavors blended better with the sweet potato than I would have thought! In recipe that inspired this, black beans rather than meat was used.

Note:
I'm curious if tomato would work with this in terms of flavor, and if not, if the more sour tomatillo might blend all right with the other flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment