Monday, August 25, 2014

Lamb meatballs with dairy free mint sauce

My chest freezer lost power and I didn't find out for 4 days. Thankfully, the food was still cold, but it had all thawed, so I've been frantically cooking like a madwoman.  I had one pound of lamb, which I never eat but know goes well with mint, and after seeing that some recipes also include ginger, I came up with the following lamb meatball recipe.

It turned out rather nice, honestly. Better than I thought it was. However, my amounts are very slap dash in this one - I was just using what I had, and making estimates about how much I used, after the fact. I ate them so fast I forgot to take a picture, LOL.

Lamb Meatballs

Ingredients for lamb meatballs:
1 pound ground lamb
1/4 yellow squash, finely grated (in place of bread crumbs)
salt
crushed onion seeds (about 1/2-2/3 of a flower's worth, maybe 1-2 teaspoons after crushing)
one small sprig of fennel
finely diced ginger - maybe 1 teaspoon? Maybe 2.
grated turmeric - maybe 1/4 tsp
3 crushed and ground up chiltepines
1-2 large sprigs fresh oregano, chopped fine

Directions:
1. Knead all ingredients together for a while, until well mixed.  Make into small meatballs.
2. Preheat oven to 400 F. Place meatballs on a tinfoil covered cookie sheet.
3. Bake in middle of oven for 20 minutes. Take out and serve. Reminder: lamb gets tough if cooked too long.
4. Serve with mint sauce (recipe below).


Mint sauce
Ingredients:
maybe 5 big sprigs of mint (spearmint or peppermint, can't remember)
2 Tb olive oil, about
2-4 Tb lemon juice, about
1-3 teaspons + liquid honey
pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Blend all ingredients together in a blender or small food processor. Adjust lemon and honey to taste.
(mint sauce inspired by this - http://norecipes.com/quick-roast-lamb-with-mint-sauce-recipe/)

Notes:
1. The original mint sauce included shallots, which I think would be nice, if you can have 'em.  My mint sauce is very thin, not thick, so improvements could be made with a thickener, honestly.

2. If you have issues with sulfurous foods, like onions, you may have to drop the onion seeds. Possibly make up for it with more of the other seasonings.



No comments:

Post a Comment