Friday, June 15, 2012

Beet Hummus

Buffalo recipe!
I'm shifting around some of my blogs a bit, so that I can keep all my recipes here. As a result, I'm moving the recipes I have from my other buffalo blog over.


Beet Hummus from 9/20/11 (no, really, take a look)

Such a pretty color, yeah?
Let me say that I would be among the first to hear ‘beets’ and make a face. They aren’t exactly a flavor I enjoy. But seriously? This recipe is awesome, tastes of lemon and cumin and NOT of beets. This is an adaptation of a recipe by Elise at SimplyRecipes.com and it’s a great dip for cucumber, celery, or zucchini. Probably for other things that I’m not creative enough to think of, honestly.
Beet Hummus
Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound beets (about 4 medium sized beets), scrubbed clean, cooked, peeled, and cubed*
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 5 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 small clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp lemon zest (zest from 2 lemons or so)
  • Generous pinch of sea salt or Kosher salt
*To cook the beets, cut off any tops, scrub the roots clean, put them in a covered dish with about 1/4-inch of water in a 375°F oven, and cook until easily penetrated with a knife or fork. Alternatively, cover with water in a saucepan and simmer until tender, about 1/2 hour. Peel once they have cooled.
Directions:
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and ingredients as desired.
2. Chill and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Makes 2 cups.


Note that when I made this, I was still eating a few spices that I purchased, which I can no longer do, and I was still eating garlic and onion. And...I react to beets, now, too, so I think this is forever lost to me. It shouldn't be lost to you all, though! It's awesome!

Sulfite Free - To make this sulfite and high-sulfur free, leave out the garlic, and possibly the cumin, if preserved spices tend to bother you.

No comments:

Post a Comment