Friday, March 8, 2013

Kale Chips

I just haven't made these in a while and kind of forgot about them. Wish I hadn't! They are SO easy to make, and the kids will eat them which is always a plus, just like the cauliflower.

A warning for the sulfite sensitive. If you react to anything in the brassica family, this may be problematic for you, so take care. I could eat it when I was reacting a bit less, so I hope that some day I may be able to eat it again. :-)



Kale Chips
Ingredients:
Fresh Kale
oil or fat
salt and/or pepper


What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 300F or so.
2. Wash the kale. Peel the leaves away from the stalks. You can use the stalks later in soups or stir fries.
3. Chop the leaves into 1-2 inch pieces. Let them air dry or dry with a paper towel.
4. Rub the leaves with 1-2 Tb of olive oil, depending on how much kale you are using. An easy way to do this is to drizzle the oil over the kale leaves after you put them on a clean cookie sheet and then rub the leaves around to coat them. Sprinkle with salt.
5. Put into the oven and let bake until crisp. With my oven, this takes around 5-10 minutes. Some people prefer to do it at a lower temp. for longer, or at a higher temp for a shorter time. It just depends on your oven and preference, really.


These end up salty and very crisp and light feeling. The taste IS kale, but compared to other ways to eat this veggie, the kids definitely prefer this slightly less healthy method. :-D

I HAVE done this without oil before, and even without salt. If you do it without oil, it only seems to work if you bake it on top of tinfoil or silicon cooking sheets - something flexible that you can bend so you can get the kale chips off. Without salt, it's not as tasty, but still better than plain kale, in my opinion.

...yeah, I'm not a big kale fan, heh.

LOW HISTAMINE DIET - This seems to be compliant with the diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment