Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Stuffed Bell Pepper

This comes from yet another failed recipe, LOL.

So far, soaked, raw beans that I freeze and thaw later do not do well in my falafel recipes. I wasn't certain this was the case, but the last disaster has left little doubt in my mind. But unfortunately, that left me with nothing to do with my just-now-made bean and cucumber falafel dough (Don't judge. I was out of veggies to use!).

I baked it in a loaf pan, instead but it was...not good. Tasted like dry crumbs, although the fact that it did taste like crumbs has given me possibilities for its use in other things.

So today, I'm using my crumbs.


Stuffed Bell Pepper
Ingredients:
2 green bell peppers
GF Falafel dough (from this recipe), baked instead of fried, mashed into crumbs, and cooled
Roasted yellow or red bell pepper - 2-4, depending on size
tomatoes - 2 small
salt

Directions:
1. Blend up the roasted bell peppers to a paste, chop the tomatoes, and mix it all together with the falafel crumbs. Salt to taste.

The bell peppers 
2. Cut the green bell peppers in half, clean out the seeds and pith, and fill all four halves with the falafel mixture.

Cooked peppers
3. Cook at 350F for 40 minutes or so, until the top of the stuffing is browned



Result:
Eh, okay. It's kind of bland, really, although the tomato taste was quite nice mixed with the beans. That blended very well. The roasted bell pepper was also nice, a little sweet, but with the green bell peppers it might have been a bit much. Herbs would definitely improve the flavor, but I'm a bit low on those, so I'll have to wait until the garden perks up to try that out.

I think I would also add some sort of fat in if I tried it again. The crumbs soaked up moisture from the bell pepper and tomatoes, but sometimes they still felt sort of dry in the mouth.

All in all, I'd give this a C grade, but with notations that it could make a good beginning recipe for making something better in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment