Monday, February 4, 2013

Food Education and Gardens

I find it hard to be positive about food education. I don't know why. I suppose it's because I want to be about awesome food that we can eat and make and far too often it ends up as 'another food we can't eat or make because the food industry or farming industry has done something bizarro with it.'

That's kind of depressing.

So I'm trying to, well, think about the good things about making my own food, instead. I like to garden. I'm bad at it, but I like it. I do it differently than most, but I still like it.


As an example, if a weed grows in my garden, many times it can stay. If it offers shade, or draws in local bugs I want, or has a strong smell that keeps away the bunny rabbits? That's a keeper, as long as it's not taking up too much water from my garden or making toxins to kill them.

Unfortunately, most plant places in my area, even ones that specialize in local flora and fauna, aren't able to identify my weeds, so I have to figure out how good or bad they are for my garden through observation.

And here's a couple things I found in my garden through walking around the yard and observing. You'll notice as I start putting more of these up that there are a lot of close ups. That so you don't see the vast swaths of black-thumb-death and bare dirt and rocks. ^_^

Allyssum I actually managed to grow, yeaaaaa

Longhorn cactus beetle, no where NEAR any cactus




No comments:

Post a Comment