Monday, October 13, 2014

What I eat

I am trying to put this up periodically, in large part as a reminder to myself, for when I'm feeling down about my diet, or to remind me how far I've come. Because folks with MCAD so often have very, very limited diets that I am doing REALLY well, and I want to hold on to that for the days when I'm feeling down...like right now when I need to lose a bit of weight and have to diet, ouch.

So, reminder to self!
Two weeks after going gluten free, I was reacting to so much that my diet of 'what I can eat without reacting' dropped down to:
Bison meat, carrots, sweet potatoes, quinoa, avocado, and salt.

Within a few months, I tried and discarded a few more items and was able to add amaranth, too. I don't think it was really any improvement, considering how little I liked the texture of amaranth.

And what I can eat now (without an unpleasant reaction):

Olive oil (from a couple companies)
Sea salt (from one company)
Grass fed beef, organ meats, and fat
Salmon
heirloom beans (cranberry, chickpea, tepary, a few rare varieties, and trying out black)
cashews and pecans
In season, from farmer's market or garden: apples, lemons, grapefruit, pears, melons, rhubarb, strawberries, peaches, avocados, tomatoes, and plantains
In season, from farmer's market or garden: bell peppers, chile peppers, potatoes, sweet potatoes, asparagus, and winter and summer squash
Fresh herbs from garden, including stevia
Native foraged foods (mesquite beans, palo verde beans, wild amaranth greens, prickly pear juice and nopales, hackberries, wolf berries, acorns)
fresh ginger and turmeric

In a pinch, I seem to be able to tolerate a little bit of:
lamb
bison meat
organic raw cacao powder
mushrooms
plums (from a friend's tree)
organic blueberries


This is much, much better than it used to be!  So much better. Seriously, looking at my little list of six things and comparing it to this, I realize how much more I have now!  Admittedly, I wouldn't mind even more choices, and some of my good foods need to be retested, as I suspect a couple of them may not be as good as I thought, but I'm trying to be positive. It is also helpful for me to look at this and remind myself why I shouldn't be so down about the challenges of making good tasting food. Limited options means it's going to take a bit longer for me to figure out some good recipes and flavoring options, really.

So, upward and onward.  I'm planting two new fruit trees this week and so that'll be two new fruits I can have someday, too!

EDIT: wow, yeah, black beans? NOT a good choice. Knock those puppies off the list right off.
EDIT 2: aaaand, the cashews and pecans seem to be causing trouble, too. And some of the beans are a problem if I have more than a little. Son of a....

No comments:

Post a Comment