Friday, April 5, 2013

No-Sugar-Added Watermelon Candy

This is the easiest recipe in the whole world

One Ingredient Watermelon Candy (and yeah, the one ingredient is watermelon):



1. First, make sure you have a ripe watermelon (seedless is easiest). If there is a pale spot on one side, that's a sign that it's ripe. I have no idea why, but my lovely farmer passed this on to me, and since then, I've seen the same advice passed around the internet as well. It's worked so far!
2. Then, take the watermelon and cut off the rind. Chop the flesh into small pieces. 1 inch x 1 inch cubes or I've seen recommendations for 1/2 inch slices, too.
3. Set these up on a dehydrator and dry out these babies! If your dehydrator doesn't have instructions, you can try between 125-135 F for between 8-18 hours.
4. Watch it carefully and check the consistency periodically to see when it's done to your satisfaction. You'll end up with these condensed, flavorful watermelon candies that have the consistency of a softened gummy, a bit like really good, soft turkish delight.

Notes:
1. I have done this with cantaloupe as well and it worked fine, and I have found honey dew mentioned as well (here). However, to be honest, I much much prefer the flavor of watermelon. The other two melons did have an intensified taste, but I don't find it as pleasant.
2. If your melon has seeds, you can actually roast those and eat them, as well! Melon seeds are a common street food in Cairo, I've read. I have more information on that here.
3. I think that something that might go well with this is to coat the candy in a little starch, like is done with turkish delight, because these suckers are kind of sticky. If you can't buy pre-purchased starch, I have a recipe on how to make your own sweet potato or potato starch here.
4. These are a bit tricky to store, due to stickiness. Also, because I'm assuming some moisture still remains, I am not sure about how well they keep out of the fridge. Our candy has never lasted long enough for it to matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment