Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup

I found some safe cashews to eat!  So excited, because now I get to mess around with a lot of the vegan and raw recipes using cashew cream!

Using this recipe from vegansparkles.com, I made our version of their cream of mushroom soup that uses cashew cream for the creaminess.  

Dairy-free Cream of Mushroom Soup

This? This is amazing. It was so good. It made me react some, of course, because it has mushrooms which are higher in histamines, but I was having a low reactive day and it was SO GOOD. So...I suffered for my food. Can't do it again for the whole week without a more serious reaction, but I only regret it a little.

Cream of Mushroom Soup, dairy free
Ingredients
1 pound mushrooms (we used white button), sliced
1 Tbsp oil (we used olive oil)
4 cups broth (veggie broth was suggested. We used poultry...I think chicken, maybe turkey. It was in my freezer. That's all I know!)
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme and rosemary, each (I forgot the thyme and rosemary, actually) 
1 1/2 cups cashew cream (we made ours from scratch using this recipe from online)
about 1 tsp true onion seeds, crushed a bit (NOT nigella, which is sometimes called onion seed. I plant my green onions and harvest the seeds later. The original recipe calls for 1/2 of an onion, but we can't have that, so this is a substitute. Original uses garlic, too.)

Directions
1. In a pot, sauté the onion seeds for a minute in the oil, then add the mushrooms and any fragrant herbs/seasonings you may be adding, like ginger, turmeric, celery, whatever you may add. Sauté these for 3-5 minutes more.

2. Reduce heat to med/med-low and add the broth. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, covered. 

3. Add the cashew cream and herbs to the pot, blend well with a whisk, simmer for another 20-30 minutes, stirring periodically. 

4. Turn off heat and season with salt/pepper to taste, and serve!

Notes:
1. This turned out SO well. It was really creamy and lovely, and I honestly would not have known it was dairy free. My cashew cream was thick, and not as smooth as some, and I never even noticed. I have read now that the cashews, because of their fat content, will thicken somewhat like dairy when heated, and this seemed to be the case. The 20-30 minutes simmering time really made a noticeable change in the texture of the soup.

2. I was tempted to cook this for less time in the beginning ,with just the mushrooms and the broth, but the extra time brought out the flavor of the mushroom a lot, I believe. I'd recommend not skimping on the longer cooking time unless you are adding a lot more in the way of other flavors, to make up for it. And even then, you'll be missing out.

EDIT 2/3/14
- Had no broth, so made this and added 1 pound raw ground bison and 3 cups water instead of broth, and let the meat cook and make a beefy broth. It needed extra salt, and I added a few extra herbs, but still turned out well, still good to eat. Meat falls apart a bit, so that affects the texture. And I let it cook without the lid a little, so the broth condensed some and was more stew like than soup. Still reacted, too, darn it.

Re: low histamine diet - this is SO NOT compliant. It cooks for a long time, which is going to raise the histamine levels, and it uses mushrooms, which are on the high histamine side of things on the lists I've looked at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment