Thursday, August 16, 2018

The must-have for all elimination diets: herbs

At this point in my life, I've had to do a LOT of elimination diets. In the beginning, it was to figure out what the heck I could eat. These days, it's to figure out what I have started reacting to, or what previously safe food has become unsafe. Or, when I'm really feeling gutsy, it's to see if I can have something new.

So through out this, one thing has save my sanity and my tastebuds:

Herbs


Every, single elimination diet I have been on allows at least SOME herbs. And even if you have to eat only three foods for weeks straight, you can usually add a few herbs in to at least make them taste a little different!

I highly, HIGHLY recommend starting your own herb garden. They can be grown outdoors in crap soil (slightly stressed herbs mean better TASTING herbs), or even in crappy pots inside. And you can grow as much as you want, for just a few bucks, as opposed to spending quite a lot of money buying fresh herbs from the store.

Dried herbs - they aren't allowed on a few elimination diets, usually due to cross-contamination worries, or due to what preservatives or other substances have been used on them.

So here is a link to a list of herbs and other additions that you can check out and potentially grow, if you are looking for something to add to your diet!

List of herbs and spices


I should note that this list includes things you might not otherwise think of. Like beetroot powder - if you can have beets, it might be worth a little work to make the powder and add it in to various foods for flavor or color. Dry celery leaves and use those.

You can grow cilantro and let it go to seed to get coriander (or do the same for cumin, fennel, and others).

And so on. Seriously, though, it has made a huge difference in my eating life to be able to add herbs to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment